Friday, August 2, 2013

Shrinking World

Two years ago, I ordered winter boots from Korea at a low price including shipping, and they are excellent.

Recently I visited Mayfair Mall, a sprawling place on the Western edge of Milwaukee County, seeking a case for my new iPhone.  Two different kiosks had many to choose from, but neither retailer displayed prices.  Always a bad sign. 

When I inquired at the first, a salesman said nonchalantly that the one I liked was $39.95.  I knew that was ridiculous for two bucks worth of plastic and rubber and said, "Thanks but I'll keep looking."  Quickly the salesman asked what I was willing to spend.  I repeated myself and walked away with him on my heel.

The second kiosk wanted $29.95 for it's "low-priced" cases which also was way above what I was willing to pay.

I returned home, very quickly found comparable cases online, and wound up paying $6.00 with free shipping from China (!).  The case arrived within ten days and is well made and attractive, with a black and white zebra-like pattern on the back to make it easier to see.

Some of my fellow Americans urge us to *buy American* but how can we? I would be very suprised if the cases I looked at in the mall were made in America.  (Probably they were made in the same place as the one I bought.)

Moreover, people in China, India, and other locations like to eat, too, and have every right to, just like citizens everywhere.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home